1000+ Living Room Designs, Ideas And Pictures
Thinking of renovating your living room? Then you've come at the right place! At UrbanClap, You can simply browse through 1,000+ best living room designs and living room decoration ideas. The UrbanClap professionals strive to provide the best services to you, leaving you with an affordable living room designs
Filter photos by
Living Room Styles
Living Room Components
7,184 Ideas & Photos Found
Sophisticated Living Area with Brown Soda and Cushioned ChairBy Mayank Manchanda
Living Area With Small Centre Table And Drapes with sofaBy Dhananjay Ramdas
Living Room With Black Sofa Set And Lounge ChairsBy Dhananjay Ramdas
Living Room With Brown Finely Stitched SofasBy Ravi Gulati
Living room with studio sofa and LED ceiling light in false ceilingBy Bhagyashree Prajapati
L shape sofa with wooden flooring and brick wall designBy Richa Jindal
Cream sofa with cushions brick wall design and wooden flooringBy Richa Jindal
Lavishing Living Area with Wooden Wall Art and Black SofaBy Sumita Mehra
Living Room With Bulky Furniture And Vintage ChandelierBy Furdo.com
Living Room With Marble Flooring And Modern False ceilingBy Furdo.com
The Living Room With L-Shaped Sofa And Artistic False CeilingBy Furdo.com
Creamy Sofa Set with Walnut Brown Display UnitBy Viraf Laskari
Creamy Sofa Set With Wooden Touch Display UnitBy Viraf Laskari
Spacious Living Room with Comfy Sofa Set and Wooden Centre TableBy Viraf Laskari
Plate Decor With Vintage Look and golden Side LampBy Dhaval Patel
Creative Side Table And Traditional Wooden Center Table and Interactive Wall ArtBy Dhaval Patel
Azure Blue And Bright Yellow Sofa Set In Entertainment AreaBy Dhaval Patel
Beige patterned Wall with Orange Lounge Chair and Colorful Cushions Complimenting with White SofaBy Dhaval Patel
Beige Abstract Wall And Cream Sofas With Patterned Cushions And Orange Lounge ChairBy Dhaval Patel
Eccentric Living Room with Edgy Display Unit and colorful Wall Art with Marble FlooringBy Dhaval Patel
Minimalistic Living Room With Blue Sofa And Red CarpetBy narayan moorthy
Pendant Lights And Black And White Sofa Sets In Rustic Living RoomBy narayan moorthy
Living Room With Leather Seaweed Green Chair And Glass Top TableBy narayan moorthy
Living Room With Wooden Sofa Lemon Sofa And Traditional Red CarpetBy narayan moorthy
Find the top vendors in your locality
Living Room Design Ideas
Commonly referred to as the ‘most public part’ of one’s home, the living room provides the first impression of a home-a sneak peek into the personality of the homeowner because it is usually the first room one walks into on entering the house. While selecting the alternatives at hand for living room décor, one can be extremely creative with all the choices available and showcase their individual and innate style. You can choose from a variety of existing styles or be fierce enough to mix things a bit.
How Should You Select the Style For Your Living Room Interior?
There are no hard and fast rules when it comes to living room design. After all, home décor symbolizes the personality of the homeowner and brings it to life. All of it boils down to the overall vibe or the tone that you want to set for your living room decor while considering important factors like space and budget. You can choose from standard styles such as modern, contemporary, minimal etc., or have a little fun by combining two or more styles in your own special way. But beware, not every style can be mixed and matched with the other in a tasteful fashion. For that, you can always consult our professionals and sit back and let the experts handle it. Firstly, start from scratch. Plan of how YOUR ideal living room design should look like. Visualize and reimagine. Let go of old furniture that is outdated, worn out and does not go with your vision. If you don’t want to dispose it off completely, simply repurpose it to other parts of your home.
How Should You Select The colour Scheme For Your Living Room Decor?
Now comes the part where you need to decide on the colour palette. Choose those colours which you would love to see every day and those which have a calming effect on you. Do your thorough research from blogs, magazines or simply hire an expert from UrbanClap to get a fair idea of how your living room should look like. Once you have decided in the style and the overall layout, you can start buying the new furniture and other furnishings, starting with the chunkiest pieces- the sofa set and the entertainment center(if you want to include on at all). You can then move on to the smaller player such as curtains, side tables, coffee tables and cabinets etc. This is the most exciting part.
When it comes to deciding on the colour scheme, many designers swear by the 60-30-10 principle which is quite popular among professionals.
According to this, you can choose three broad colours your living room. It will comprise of 60% primary colour, 30% secondary colour and 10% accent colour. Your primary colour includes elements that cover majority of the living space, such as the walls and the sofa. Secondary colour comprises on smaller elements such as the draperies, some small furniture and perhaps an accent wall. Then comes the accent colour that forms the smallest part of the colour scheme. This includes artwork, cushions and throw pillows etc.
As already stated, there are no hard and fast rules for home décor, so even this principle can be tweaked according to respective needs and tastes. Just remember, there is no right way to achieve the perfect look for your lounging area.
How Can You Select The Walls Of Your Living Room?
As soon as we enter a new space, the floor and the wall decor are the first things that catch our eye. Surface area wise, walls and floor form the largest part of the living room and special heed must be paid to these key features while designing as you will come home to relax in your living room after a long, hard day at work. Reiterating ‘your way is the right way’, walls can be stylized in a unique fashion. Soothing (soft colours) or dramatic (bright and vibrant colours)? Monochrome or patterns? The choice is completely yours.
- Picking The Wall Colour
Picking the right wall colour is quite a hefty task and half the battle won in the decorating process. The right colour can enhance the beauty of your entire living room design. Light colours are preferable for smaller rooms because they create an illusion of space. On the other hand, with larger rooms, you can experiment and go wild with dark, bold colours and patterns which are vibrant and give off a hint of drama. However, they must be chosen carefully so that the colour combination complements the living room interior in aesthetic and exquisite fashion.
- Accent Walls
Accent walls are not exactly a new trend but are a sure-shot way to pump class and sophistication along with an urbane touch right into your living room. They are budget friendly and look absolutely stunning, if executed correctly. The colour and/or pattern of the accent wall primarily depends on the colour of the other walls. Faux finish walls are a popular choice along with metallic and plastered accent walls. Before painting the entire town red, make sure you apply the paint on a patch to get an idea of the final outcome. You can also opt for a temporary wallpaper on the accent wall. They are cost-effective and very convenient to apply and remove. Wood planks, bricks and tiles can also be used instead of paint. Your accent wall doesn’t necessarily have to be fancy or textured. It can be as simple as a dark coloured wall in an otherwise lightly coloured room.
- Art Work
A living room decor is incomplete without wall art. Apart from hand picking the right art pieces, their placement is equally (if not more) important. If you decide to hang your art above the sofa, then make sure you pick a piece of appropriate dimensions i.e. it should not be too small. As a general rule for reference the piece of art should be about two-thirds the width of the sofa. If you want to hang your art on the side of a window, make sure that there is enough space between the drapes on the window and the surrounding wall so that everything looks clean and not cluttered. Wherever the artwork is placed, it should not too high. Remember that the center point of the piece should be at eye level.
- False Ceilings
Ceilings don’t necessarily have to be white, flat and boring. False ceilings are another go-to hack for elegant home decor. They transform the whole look and feel of the room by giving it a fresh, edgy and inimitable demeanor. Size of the room, colour of the walls surrounding it and overall style of the living room are some of factors on the basis of which you can decide from. You can go for a variety of options such as an all-white false ceiling with LEDs placed in it, or perhaps a ceiling with wooden slabs placed on it to give away an ethereal and cozy appearance. Your false ceiling can also be designed in an asymmetrical, geometric pattern. You can also have your ceiling extend till the floor and let one of your walls stand out of the rest.
How Can You Select The Flooring For Your Living Room?
“If you fall, I will be there”, proudly said the floor. With flooring comes a plethora of options that you can choose from. Depending on the overall look and feel of your room, your floor should speak grace, elegance with that special flavor of comfort.
- Hardwood Floors
Wooden flooring is the epitome of grace and sophistication. They provide a certain warmth and timelessness to provide an ethereal appeal to your living room interior. Wooden floor is and has always been highly popular among designers and homeowners alike because of its beauty and practicality. The value of the house with wooden flooring jumps up notches because of its sheer elegance. Although they are a little steep, cost wise, they are known to last a hundred years, so in a way they prove to be value for money because of their extremely high shelf life. Wooden, due to its organic nature is healthier as compared to other materials. Apart from insulating the room against heat and cold, it attracts less dust and is a flooring superstar, especially in polluted areas.
Living room is the central hub of any house and to revamp it in the best possible way, you can consider a carpeted floor. Carpets are traditional and very durable. Merely changing the carpet can transform the entire appearance of your living room design. To give your living room decor a touch of warmth and familiarity, you can most certainly opt either for a full end to end carpet or a large carpet that allows your room to breathe. Going by the colour scheme of your living room, you can decide the colour that compliments everything else. You can choose from a variety of fabrics and dabble around with numerous patterns. Carpets are not all that difficult to maintain and help make your room appear cozy. Carpets in warm, neutral and earthy colours give a classy feel to your space. On the other hand, you can make some elements of your living room pop by adding a bright, loud rug that goes with the overall vibe of the room. You can also decide to go the grey or silver route for a classic but a modern twist.
Cork is an up and coming trend in the flooring scene. It is a soft and spongy material that can give your bedroom a luxurious and palatial feel. Cork is filled with tiny air bubbles which provides that relaxing cushion like effect which feels like heaven beneath your feet and insulates the room against both heat and noise. If someone accidently trips or falls, a certain amount of protection is provided by the flooring. Cork can be used sans guilt because of its relatively eco-friendly, green and renewable nature. Maintenance is hassle free and the anti-microbial, anti-static qualities are an added bonus. Cork, unlike carpets, does not attract hair, dust and other small particles, thus making it easier to clean. Surface of the cork flooring can be refinished periodically to give it a fresh new look. Cork can be relatively expensive and can be prone to scratching and damage because it is a very soft material. If something sharp falls on the floor, it can very well puncture the floor.
Wood laminate-thin layers of wood hard pressed together-is a common alternative to hardwood floors mainly because it can replicate the look of the latter. It is both cost effective and easier to maintain hence can be considered a good option for your living room interiors, but at the fact same time, it cannot be refinished, is sometimes prone to slipping and gives a relatively unnatural feel. Laminate flooring is easy to install and easy to clean. You can simply mop with a light, damp cloth or laminate floor cleaner. The need for waxing the floor never arises. Unlike wood, which can dent, laminate flooring is almost impervious to dents and scratches.
These are some of the options that you can think about when choosing the flooring and the above list is certainly not exhaustive. Many other choices are available in the market that you can refer to, with due guidance from the experts. You can consult our top professional while picking out the best possible, most feasible option for your home that brings your imagination to reality.
What Are The Different Types Of Styles In Which You Can Design Revamp Your Living Room Design?
Home décor can be called a science of its own. It is superbly vast and has many nuances to it. Your living room design can be revamped in a variety of styles and designs, based on your selection. Mentioned below are the broad styles that home decor can be distinguished into- Modern and Contemporary.
Described by clean, bold and streamlined lines and simple, neutral colours, modern style has simplicity at its core. Heavy use of accessories is not commonplace in this style and neat and decluttered is the norm. White is a popular alternative for people who love to go all modern. Large windows and neutral colour themes are a good alternative when you want to style your living room interior in a modern way. Heavy furniture is kept at a minimum to ensure that the space does not look cramped. If you are a reader, you can make a small reading area in your living room with exposed bookshelves to enhance the decor of the room.
Contemporary is more fluid, with an ability to bend the rules of modern style. Lines are clean and streamlined but can be curved unlike those in modern style. Here, you can also combine different styles with each other. For instance, you can mix metal with wood or glass with stone to give your living room a superbly quirky and fun appeal. Paneled partitions and earthy hues can be considered under this style. Designs are playful under this style. Differently coloured and shaped rugs and furniture with curves on it can also be given a thought to enhance your entire living room design.
First and foremost, India is the land of colours and hence traditional Indian decor is hallmarked by bright, vibrant colours. For an authentic Indian look, make heavy use of wood, in both floor and furniture. You can also go for a wooden ceiling or intricately carved accessories like charpoys, diwans, birdcages, armchairs etc. You can place art pieces and handicrafts with elaborate patterns and textures and/or hang huge paintings perhaps brass statues to finish off that desi look.
This is also called ‘simplified modern’ characterized by neutral colours such as shades of brown, grey and beige, simple furnishings and absolutely zero flamboyance to keep the ambience visually soothing. Keep it clean and decluttered with minimalism, basically stripping down your living room to its bare essentials. Leaving out empty, blank spaces makes way for the observer to focus on the existing decorations in the living room. Indian décor involves use of colour and minimalism forbids flamboyance. So to help yourself out of this fix, use colours as an accent colour.
Associated with the 60s to 90s culture, retro contains elements of concentric circles and check patterns along with a use of prints and bold colours. What goes around, comes around and retro theme is back with a bigger bang than it ever has. Look into retro walls with bold patterns in vibrant colours such as red, indigo, purple etc. along with huge lampshades. Your furniture can be patterned aa well. Opt for bold prints like tie and dye or check. Accessorise your house with edgy and futuristic wall frames and you can place metal statues and figurines to complement this style.
Rustic has a ‘close to nature’ ring to it by heavily making use of wood and stone. You can pick hand craft artisanal wall hangings made out of silk or other fabrics and low floor seating coupled with bright cushions for that ethnic feel. Candles also speak rustic. colourful, scented, placed in a candle holder, why stop at one when you can go for all of the above. Go for bold prints (think of tribal too) for the upholstery of your furniture. A wooden foot stool placed in front of a carved wooden arm chair screams ethnic and can look very edgy.
Old is gold is the thumb rule for vintage, particularly the time period from 1920-1960. Huge crystal chandeliers with heavy tasseled drapes and curtains and well-detailed heavy furniture from the heart of vintage décor. You can place a mirror with a curved frame in your drawing room to bring out beautiful dimensions in it. Go for sofa sets that remind you of the old times. You can also hang oversized light bulbs right from the ceiling, in an aesthetic, visually pleasant manner to give your living room décor a vintage look.
Eclectic is a little hard to define in a way that it comprises of a Bohemian look with a mixture of different kinds of patterns and shapes. You can hand-pick carved wooden chairs or leather couches and modern center and side tables to achieve this look. Also, since eclectic is all about mixing and matching, you can pick out furniture, with each piece of a different kind. For the flooring, you can go for mosaic, terracotta or even brick tiles for an eclectic living room design.
What Are Some Decorating Ideas For A Typical Indian Living Room?
India is the land of colours and culture and you can channel this in your living room to give it an ethnic touch straight from the motherland.
- In a typical Indian living room, furnishings are usually upholstered in rich and textured fabrics complete with a combination of loud and subtle colour schemes.
- Elaborate woodwork,
- low seating,
- colourful cushions,
- handicrafts with intricate work,
- brick walls and
- use of beautiful, plush rugs and carpets,
- curtains with tassels and fringes, hung all the way down to the floor
- If you have a large living room, you can also install a wooden swing or keep diwans carved in intricate designs that will surely remind you of the good old days, leaving a sweet nostalgia behind.
- Also, you can install beautiful jaalis as paneling for shutters to give your living room a royal look.
- Woodwork also plays a pivotal role in Indian style decor. You can have beautiful coffee tables, cabinets diwans and charpoys among others in rich wood to amp up the style quotient of your living room.
These are some the top-notch ideas off the top of our heads that can surely spruce up your living room and bring out the earthy flavor.
What Are Some Ideas For A Small Living Room Design?
Decorating a smaller space can surely be bit of a challenge but that shouldn’t deter anyone from going all in with the creativity.
- Less is more when it comes to small living rooms. Go minimalistic with the furniture in a way that the room appears clean and uncluttered by adding your own special twist to it. Stripping down a room to the basics can provide a neater appearance to you space and is very soothing for the eyes.
- Light colours create an illusion of space and hence, they should be used for the walls, curtains, shades and the sofa to make the room appear spacious and airy, although an accent wall never hurt anybody. Remember, loud colours can be used on the accent walls and not as the main primary colour. You can also make your room pop by making use of colourful furnishings and embellishments.
- Small spaces have a problem of insufficient storage but this in no way means that this cannot be used all the way to your advantage. You can have tall, spacious shelves installed in your living room as they give an impression of added height and generally a spacious appearance. Seating with built-in storage can also help in effectively optimizing the space available at hand. Everything has to have more than one purpose.
- Make use of colourful rugs to make your room appear larger and breaking the monotony of softer, breezier colour tones. Going bigger on the floor not only catches the eye but also makes the room look bigger than it already is as the floor is one of the most noticeable portions of any room.
- Using furniture with legs (also called floating furniture) creates space and adds volume to the room by making the space under the legs visible, hence creating an illusion of greater surface area.
- You can also have a couple of mirrors with beautiful, exotic looking frames in your drawing room as they open up the room and add more visual space for the eye. They also provide an ethnic touch to the overall décor.
Hang your curtains way above the window to give an appearance of additional height, thus making the room look bigger. You can also go for curtains and drapes in lighter colours for this very purpose.
How Can You Style Your Living Room Interiors On A Budget?
There are numerous ways to deck up your living room design even when you are on a tight budget. Not everything good in life has to come at a steep cost, right? You can consider the following pointers for bringing out the soul in your lounge, even if it is on a constrained budget.
- Plants-Plants are both pleasant for the eyes and are equally inexpensive. Having a little greenery in any part of your house brings peace and harmony because scientifically, green is the most soothing colour to look at. Plants can do the trick when you don’t want to overstep your bounds monetarily.
- Books- Books are man’s best friend for another reason now. A pile of books can be a great way to fill up empty spaces and give off a polished and sophisticated look. You can assign a little corner in your living room as the reading corner, complete with a comfortable lounge chair and a bookshelf or two.
- DIY items- When you don’t want to go all out cash wise, why don’t you get a little crafty? You can always step up your A-game and create something out of basic materials. Embroidered cushion covers, or a self-designed centerpiece that puts Picasso to shame? The choice is yours. DIY items don’t cost a dime and you’ll get to up your creativity simultaneously.
- Repainting- A pop of colour can go a long way to give that extra edge to your living room. You can also have an accent wall with a bold pattern that is chic but doesn’t overdo it. Repainting your living room will change the whole game and provide that much needed transformation and a change to the ye.
- Mirrors- Framed mirrors are beautiful to look at and make the room appear larger. They are also relatively budget friendly and will give an ethnic, earthy touch to your place. Pick out beautiful and ethnic frames that look edgy and classy at the same time.
- Photos of your family- Showcasing your family portraits not only speaks volumes of your love for your loved ones but is also lighter on your pocket. Depending on the theme of your house, you can make a photo gallery on one of the walls. Solid proof that only love needs to be extravagant and not your expenditure.
Check out living room ideas made on budget here.
What Are The Latest Trends In Living Room Designs?
What’s new in the living room interior scene? Don’t worry, we have a quick guide for those in need of the perfect interior design for living room.
- Green is the new black. People are going all-in with green (either light or dark, depending on the other factors) interiors. Green is very pleasant visually and gives an edgier, smarter look to the entire space.
- Opting out of the traditional Scandinavian all white décor, people are now warming up to rich shades of brown, black and even blush palettes.
- Use of materials like wood and clay is an up and coming trend these days.
- Instead of buying an entire sofa set, you can try mixing and matching various pieces to achieve that unique look.
- Accent ceilings are also a new kid on the block. You can make use of textured wallpaper, embossed, wooden beams etc. to give a classy makeover to your drawing room. ’Fifth wall’, they are calling it lately.
- Velvet is back in vogue because it feels amazing under your skin and has a luxurious ring to it. If you are on a budget and cannot refurbish the entire furniture, add velvet cushions and throw pillows instead.
Where Can You Find Living Room Design Solutions?
The dedicated team of professionals (Architects, Interior Designers, Contractors and Wall Painters) which are a part of the UrbanClap family will make sure that you always have a solution to all your queries about your humble abode. We have curated an UrbanClap Homes portal showcasing nearly 5000 projects which you can browse for inspiration and finding tailor-made living room design ideas for you.
(https://www.urbanclap.com/homes). Think of UrbanClap Homes as a one stop solution for all things related to housing plans and house designs.