Dining Room Design Ideas and Photos
Are you looking for those fabulous dining room designs that actually make you want to dine on a dining table? Well, you're in luck ! At UrbanClap, you can simply browse through 1,000+ dining room designs, dining room decorating ideas and photos! You can choose from casual dining room ideas to modern dining room designs. The UrbanClap Homes Professionals are equipped to offer you with wonderful living room design services that will surely make you go wow!
Filter photos by
Dining Room Styles
Dining Room Components
1,868 Ideas & Photos Found
Lavish Dining Area with Beige Cushioned Chairs and White Marble Top tableBy Sumita Mehra
Dinning space with wooden flooring and black chairsBy Richa Jindal
Alluring Dining Area with Wooden Prayer Room and Wooden False CeilingBy Monnaie Architects
Stunning Dining Area with Wooden False Ceiling and Marble FlooringBy Monnaie Architects
Stunning Dining Space with Wooden Chairs and Wooden False CeilingBy Monnaie Architects
Artistic Dining Room with Blue Chairs and Colorful CushionsBy Dhaval Patel
Cream Dinning furniture with display unitBy Regalias Interiors
Blue Chairs With Yellow Red Cushions And Rustic Pendant Lights with Circular Wall ArtBy Dhaval Patel
Monochromatic Dining Room with Black ThemeBy Mayank Manchanda
Modern Dining Hall with classic furniture and modern display unitBy Ram PJ
Dinning space with modern style furnitureBy Prashant Mali
Dinning space with display unit and creamy furnitureBy Prashant Mali
Dinning space with white table chairs false ceilingBy Prashant Mali
Straw Yellow Shaded Dining RoomBy Dharmindra
Impressive Designed dining Room With Wooden Table And ChairBy Hoshedaar Eruch Carnac
Dining Room With Beige Shaded Round Frame ChairsBy GC Design Studio
Dining Room With Wooden Table And Wooden Logs ChairBy narayan moorthy
White Wooden Drawer And Brunette Wood Dining TableBy Kunal Kshatriya
Brown Themed Dining Room With Brown Granite Table and BlackChairsBy Manvi Jain
Wooden Table With Beige Tub ChairBy Sanjiv C Mehra
Opulent Dining Area With Wooden FloorBy Live Fabulous
Country Pine Shaded Dining Room With Hanging LightsBy Live Fabulous
Antique Wood Vintage Dining AreaBy Live Fabulous
Dining Room With Brown Cylindrical LightsBy narayan moorthy
Find the top vendors in your locality
Dining Room Ideas
The dining room is most certainly the place where the entire family gathers every night to enjoy a healthy scrumptious meal. Dinner time is the time when the family bonds, often discussing the events of the day or having healthy debates about politics or culture. The dining room is much more than a table with chairs around it. Try not to neglect it while designing your humble abode. Just like all the other parts of your house, let your dining room showcase the nuances and colours of your personality. While selecting the alternatives available in hand for dining room décor, you can be extremely creative with all the choices at your disposal and showcase your unique innate style. You can choose from a variety of existing styles or be fierce enough to even mix things up a bit.
What To Do If You Don’t Have a Separate Dining Room In Your House?
Many houses these days are compact and do not have a separate room that can be dedicated for dining. This is especially true in the current Indian context where houses are mostly smaller than before. So, in such cases, the dining area is fashioned in a way that the table and chairs are either placed in the living room or sometimes even in the kitchen. With a few hacks and smart planning, your living space can double up as a drawing cum dining area. You can also place your dining table in an L-shaped modern kitchen. This style optimizes the given floor space efficiently and makes room for your dining area.
Where Should You Look To Make the Best Out Of Your Dining Room?
If you are dealing with even bigger issues pertaining to space, then there is nothing that a skilled professional can’t do. The right professional has to be identified and trusted with the job. But, it gets very difficult to manage different types of people, and supervise every process that is taking place. Hiring an architect or a designer helps, but most people don’t really trust their contractors to execute the work. UrbanClap gives you a platform to hire your own contractors based on the work you want them to do. Here, you can hire a trustworthy contractor to give your dining room a luxurious makeover that complements the overall beauty of your house.
How Should You Get Started With The Dining Room Design Process?
Keeping in mind the space you have in your dining room, basically determining whether it is big or small, spacious or compact, you can begin by optimizing the space at hand that is choosing the elements of the room that are space appropriate. Your dining should contain the basic decor elements, but it should never look cluttered. Our team of trusted professionals will help you style your dining room in a way that it both stands out and matches the overall ambience of your house.
- First things first, start out with the basics and the essentials.
- Decide on a colour palette that compliments your dining room given its size, shape and structure.
- If your dining area is located inside the living room or the kitchen, then you don’t need to separately choose a different colour for the dining space.
- There is a plethora of colour and material options available in the market. It totally depends on how you want your dining room to look like and what vibe you want it to give out.
- After the bigger elements like the walls and floor have been decided upon, you can take to the relatively smaller elements such as the dining table, dining chairs, cabinets, lighting etc.
How Should You Select The colour Scheme For Your Dining Room?
There are no hard and fast rules when it comes to home decor. After all, home décor symbolises the personality of the homeowner and brings it to life. All of it boils down to the overall vibe or the tone that you want to set for your dining room while considering important factors like space and budget. You can always consult our professionals and sit back and relax while letting the experts handle it.
- Since dining room are synonymous with eating and food, they require an elegant and relaxed décor.
- Contrasts are an up and coming trend and work well with dining areas.
- You can couple blue or red with a pure white ceiling.
- For modern and minimalistic dining rooms, you can go the white on white route.
- To balance the sober touch of pristine white, you can add patterns and textures for a fun vibe.
- Avoid loud and overly brash colours that might just kill your appetite rather than promoting it. After all, you will have to revisit your dining room every day and you don’t want to come back to an unpleasant decor.
- Envision what your ideal dining room should look like go for colours that have a soothing and calming effect on your eyes so that you want to come to your dining room everyday and admire its decor.
What Are The Various Styles In Which Dining Rooms Can Be Designed?
Home design can be called a science of its own. It is superbly vast and has many aspects to it. Your dining room can be designed in a variety of styles and designs, based on your selection. Contrary to popular belief, dining room décor can be a vast and highly nuanced process. Listed below are some of the standard styles in which your dining room can be designed.
Modern dining room style is closely linked to minimalism so first and foremost, make sure you don’t overstuff your dining room making it look like a museum. Get rid of unwanted furniture and accessories for a clean and decluttered look. Have large open windows to welcome as much natural light as you can. Play with colours and go bold with various shades, patterns and textures. Have an accent wall paired with other walls painted in a neutral hue for a balanced look. Accent walls are not exactly a new trend but are a sure-shot way to pump class and sophistication along with an urbane touch right into your living room. They are budget friendly and look absolutely stunning, if executed correctly. Cabinets and cupboards are an interesting spin in a modern setting. They not only aid in storage, but look very chic. Proudly put your fancy chinaware and glassware to display in these cabinets and cupboards. You can also have a dining table made out of natural stone with complimenting chairs placed in your dining room to complete this look. For lighting, put in lamps-either overhead lamps or floor lamps- for a simplified and tidy look and feel.
First and foremost, India is the land of colours and hence traditional Indian decor is hallmarked by bright, vibrant colours. For an authentic Indian dining room, make heavy use of wood, in both floor and furniture. Think of wooden, rustic dining table and chairs, and intricately carved wooden cabinets for an ethnic, cozy and exotic feel. You can also go for a wooden ceiling and can place art pieces and handicrafts with elaborate patterns and textures and/or hang huge paintings perhaps brass statues to finish off that desi look. Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication according to Indian belief. Make your dining room welcoming, try earthy colour tones and perhaps a chunky mirrored wall art or hanging to complete the traditional look. If your dining area is in the living room, you can make use of crafty wooden dividers to create a partitioned and neat look.
Contemporary dining rooms are more fluid, with an ability to bend the rules of modern style. Lines are clean and streamlined but can be curved unlike those in modern style. Akin to modern, lines are clean and streamlined but are not necessarily straight. They can be curved and contemporary has elements of other styles attached to it as well. Here, you can also combine different styles with each other. For instance, you can mix metal with wood or glass with stone to give your dining room a superbly quirky and fun appeal. Paneled partitions and earthy hues can be considered under this style. Designs are playful under this style and you can mix and match and have a ball. For instance, you can have the dining table chairs upholstered in a combination of fabrics of different colours. Similarly, dining tables with a glass top have a very contemporary appeal to them.
Eclectic style more or less a blend of various styles. It can get a little hard to define because it comprises of a Bohemian look with a mixture of different kinds of patterns and shapes. It is so much more than a haphazard mish mash of styles. All styles that are clubbed together must compliment each other to achieve a tasteful and gorgeous look. Mix and match furniture pieces across styles to channel the ‘anything goes with anything’ vibe. Have dining chairs made out of different materials placed around the dining table Go crazy on patterns but in a way that they play well together but then to balance it all out, be lighter on the walls, opting either for an all-white or neutral colour shades. For the flooring, you can go for mosaic, terracotta or even brick tiles.
How Should You Style The Walls Of Your Dining Room?
‘Your way is the highway’ holds true for your dining room’s walls and they can be stylised in any possible way as long as the way is unique and true to your unique personality. Soothing (soft colours) or dramatic (bright and vibrant colours)? Monochrome or patterns? The choice is completely yours. But keep in mind that the walls must not be too loud because a dining room should always, at all points promote hunger and not kill it.
Picking the wall colour
Picking the right wall colour is quite a hefty task and half the battle won in the decorating process. The right colour can enhance the beauty of the dining room manifold. Light colours are preferable for smaller rooms because they create an illusion of space. On the other hand, with larger rooms, you can experiment and go a little artsy with bold colours and. However, they must be chosen carefully so that the colour combination complements the décor of the dining room in an aesthetic and exquisite fashion to achieve and overall balance of subtlety and drama.
Accent walls are not exactly a new trend but are a sure-shot way to pump class and sophistication along with an urbane touch right into your dining room. Faux finish walls are a popular choice along with metallic and plastered accent walls. Before painting the entire town red, make sure you apply the paint on a patch to get an idea of the final outcome. You can also opt for a temporary wallpaper on the accent wall. They are cost-effective and very convenient to apply and remove. Wood planks, bricks and tiles can also be used instead of paint. Your accent wall doesn’t necessarily have to be fancy or textured. It can be as simple as a dark coloured wall in an otherwise lightly coloured room. Accent walls also create an illusion of extended space. but you must never overdo accent walls. You can also paint your ceiling a different colour and turn it into an accent ceiling.
Apart from hand picking the right art pieces, their placement is equally (if not more) important. If you decide to hang your art above the dining table, then make sure you pick a piece of appropriate dimensions i.e. it should not be too small. As a general rule for reference the piece of art should be about two-thirds the width of the dining table, if it is rectangular. Wherever the artwork is placed, it should not be too high. Remember that the center point of the piece should be at eye level.
Ceilings don’t necessarily have to be white, flat and boring. False ceilings are another go-to hack for elegant home decor. They transform the whole look and feel of the room by giving it a fresh, edgy and inimitable demeanor. Size of the room, colour of the walls surrounding it and overall style of the dining room are some of factors on the basis of which you can decide from. You can go for a variety of options such as an all-white false ceiling with LEDs placed in it, or perhaps a ceiling with wooden slabs placed on it to give away an ethereal and cozy appearance. Your false ceiling can also be designed in an asymmetrical, geometric pattern.
What Are The Different Flooring Options For Your Dining Room?
The overall feel of the dining room comes from its flooring. The energy radiated by the floor can either say cosy or cold. Special care must be taken while choosing the right flooring to deck up your dining room. With flooring, come a plethora of options that you can choose from. Mentioned below are few flooring options that you can consider for your dining room.
Wooden flooring is the epitome of grace and sophistication. They provide a certain warmth and timelessness to provide an ethereal appeal to your any room. Wooden floor is and has always been highly popular among designers and homeowners alike because of its beauty and practicality. The value of the house with wooden flooring jumps up notches because of its sheer elegance. Although they are a little steep, cost wise, they are known to last a hundred years, so in a way they prove to be value for money because of their extremely high shelf life. Wooden flooring, due to its organic nature is healthier as compared to other materials. Apart from insulating the room against heat and cold, it attracts less dust and is a flooring superstar, especially in polluted areas.
To revamp your dining room in the best possible way, you can consider a carpeted floor. Carpets are traditional and very durable. Merely changing the carpet can transform the entire appearance of your living room. To give your dining room a touch of warmth and familiarity, you can most certainly opt either for a full end to end carpet or a large carpet that allows your room to breathe. Going by the colour scheme of your dining space, you can decide the colour that compliments everything else. You can choose from a variety of fabrics and dabble around with numerous patterns. Carpets are not all that difficult to maintain and help make your dining room appear cozy. Carpets in warm, neutral and earthy colours give a classy feel to the space.
Cork is an up and coming trend in the flooring scene. It is a soft and spongy material that can give your dining room a luxurious and palatial feel. Cork is filled with tiny air bubbles which provides that relaxing cushion like effect which feels like heaven beneath your feet and insulates the room against both heat and noise. If someone accidently trips or falls, a certain amount of protection is provided by the flooring. Cork can be used sans guilt because of its relatively eco-friendly, green and renewable nature. Maintenance is hassle free and the anti-microbial, anti-static qualities are an added bonus. Cork, unlike carpets, does not attract hair, dust and other small particles, thus making it easier to clean. Surface of the cork flooring can be refinished periodically to give it a fresh new look. Cork can be relatively expensive and can be prone to scratching and damage because it is a very soft material. If something sharp falls on the floor, it can very well puncture the floor.
Wood laminate -thin layers of wood hard pressed together-is a common alternative to hardwood floors mainly because it can replicate the look of the latter. It is both cost effective and easier to maintain, but at the fact same time, it cannot be refinished, is sometimes prone to slipping and gives a relatively unnatural feel. Laminate flooring is easy to install and easy to clean. You can simply mop with a light, damp cloth or laminate floor cleaner. The need for waxing the floor never arises. Unlike wood, which can dent, laminate flooring is almost impervious to dents and scratches.
How Can You Pick Out The Furniture For Your Dining Room?
The furniture in the dining room is a major chunk of interior designing of the space. It is a major investment and hence must be handpicked carefully. Dining rooms these days are much more than matching chairs and tables. You can decide for yourself what looks best and even mix and match the furniture, combining different styles.
- Before going ahead with the purchase of the furniture and accessories for your dining room, keep in mind the size, shape and structure of the dining space. As a thumb rule, measure the actual square footage of the dining room and only then purchase the furniture. You don’t want to end up with furniture that does not fit and looks odd and out of place.
- In a formal dining room, the tables and chairs match and the tables are usually rectangular in shape complete with intricate inlays.
- Dark wood is usually used in tables, chairs and china cabinets.
- For a traditional style dining room, create an intimate vibe with a round table and softer, curvier lines.
- Mix and match different types of wood for the tables, chairs and cabinets.
The choice of furniture completely depends on the style in which you decide to design your dining room. If the dining space is situated in your living room, the choice of furniture must be decided in accordance with the overall ambience and décor of the living room.
What Are Some Lighting Options For Your Dining Room?
Lighting is another important component of Dining room design. The question of lighting can get a little tricky because of many questions that arise, such as which light are to be used? Where should the lights be placed? Which points need to be illuminated? The size of the dining room is the main thing that must be considered while picking out the right lighting. Small dining rooms pose new challenges to lighting and they can be made to appear larger, brighter and more welcoming with the correct dash of lighting, with their placement strategized properly.
- Is there anything better than natural light? Try to have large windows set inside the dining room so that enough light can enter and prevent the dining room from becoming too stuffy.
- You can also have a chandelier or an oversized hanging shade in the middle of the ceiling as this is will look both extravagant and graceful.
- There are a variety of other possibilities for lighting such as shelf lights, LEDs, footlights etc.
How Should You Design Your Small Dining Room?
Small does not have to bad. Undoubtedly, decorating a comparatively smaller space comes up with its own set of challenges but we at UrbanClap are here to offer you the best possible ways to live your dream of a perfect living space. With some of our A-grade tips, you can style your dining room like a pro, space no bar.
- Minimal Modern style is very apt for small spaces. Channel sharp and clean lines for a neat and decluttered look. Stripping down a room to the basics can provide a neater appearance to you space and is very soothing for the eyes.
- Use benches instead of separate chairs to save space. These benches can be designed in a way that they have built in storage space underneath the seating. Add colourful cushions and throw pillows on these benches for a chic look.
- In case of a small dining room, it is advisable to go monochromatic with the walls. Use light and breezy shades to create an illusion of space.
- Opt for a round table instead of a rectangular one. It can seat more people than the latter and it also visually expands the whole dining space.
- You can also have a couple of mirrors with beautiful, exotic looking frames in your dining room as they open up the room and add more visual space for the eye. They also provide an ethnic touch to the overall dining room décor.
- If you have curtains in your dining room, hang them way above the window to give an appearance of additional height, thus making the room look bigger. You can also go for curtains and drapes in lighter colours for this very purpose.
How Can You Design Your Dining Room On A Budget?
There are numerous ways to deck up your dining room even when you are on a tight budget. Not everything good in life has to come at a steep cost, right? Given below are some pointers that you can keep in mind to jazz up your bedroom like never before and bring out it’s a-game. You can consider the following pointers for bringing out the soul in your dining room, even if it is on a constrained budget.
- Plants are both pleasant for the eyes and are equally inexpensive. Having a little greenery in any part of your house brings peace and harmony because scientifically, green is the most soothing colour to look at. Plants can do the trick when you don’t want to overstep your bounds monetarily. Place a nice plant in the middle of your dining table for a nice and refreshing look.
- Repaint your dining room walls to a fresh new coat of pure awesomeness. You can make use of stencils, wallpapers or regular paint, but changing the colour of your walls will dramatically change the whole game of how your dining room looks and provide that much needed transformation and a change for the eye.
- When you don’t want to go all out cash wise, why don’t you get a little crafty? You can always step up your A-game and create something out of basic materials. Embroidered cushion covers, or a self-designed centerpiece for the dining table that puts Picasso to shame? The choice is yours. DIY items don’t cost a dime and you’ll get to up your creativity simultaneously.
- Showcasing your family portraits not only speaks volumes of your love for your loved ones but is also lighter on your pocket. Depending on the theme of your house, you can make a photo gallery on one of the walls. Solid proof that only love needs to be extravagant and not your expenditure.
- Replace all your door and drawer handles with new ones. This is a subtle and small but very noticeable change that you can make in your dining room.
- Framed mirrors are beautiful to look at and can make any room appear larger. They are also relatively budget friendly and will give an ethnic, earthy touch to your place. Pick out beautiful and ethnic frames that look edgy and classy at the same time.
- Shake things up a bit and rearrange all the furniture in your dining room to give it a breath of fresh air. Rather than going all extravagantly spend thrifty and simply hurting your pocket in the meanwhile, simply rearrange the existing layout of your dining room to kick that boredom away.
How Can You Find Dining Room Décor Ideas?
The dedicated team of professionals (Architects, Interior Designers, Contractors and Wall Painters) which are a part of the UrbanClap family will make sure that you always have a solution to all your queries about your humble abode. We have curated an UrbanClap Homes portal showcasing nearly 5000 projects which you can browse for inspiration and finding tailor-made dining room design ideas for you.(https://www.urbanclap.com/homes). Think of UrbanClap Homes as a one stop solution for all things related to house plans and house designs and you are never alone in your quest for finding the perfect dining room makeover solutions.