Wondering how to pick a good kitchen granite? How much would it cost you and how should you maintain its quality? We are here to help with this handy guide!
We’ve already written about the best kitchen countertop materials in India. But out of all those, there’s a reason why granite is the go-to material for Indian kitchens. Not only does the stone surface lend a natural and elegant look to the kitchen, but it also is the most practical and durable solution for our kitchens. After all, it is one of the toughest materials that can handle our unique and intense way of cooking (whether that’s with spices like turmeric that can easily stain, or using heavy objects like mortar & pestle, pressure cookers etc).
If you are renovating your kitchen, you are in a unique position to upgrade its overall ambiance. Our guide will make the process of selecting the right granite easier for you and help you set the tone for a brand new kitchen.
Here’s what this post will help you with:
- What to know before you select a kitchen granite;
- Tips on picking the right color of granite for your kitchen;
- What is the most popular edge for granite countertops?
- Pros and cons of kitchen granite countertops;
- How to care for granite kitchen countertops.
Before you go to pick your granite,
- Decide the shape of your countertop — is it going to be an L-shaped, U-shaped, parallel or single counter?
- Measure the length of the countertop space in feet;
- Make a note of the daylight and factor in the size and spaciousness of the area (does it receive enough sunlight, is it a small or a roomy kitchen etc.)
Now it’s time to decide the main features of the granite.
Here’s how to pick the right color of granite for your kitchen
Granite countertops can define your kitchen and, hence, picking the right shade is crucial. Now, black granite has been a default choice for many, and you cannot go wrong with this pragmatic option, especially if function is all that you are after. However, from an aesthetic point of view, it may not necessarily complement all kitchens.
If your kitchen is compact and well-lit…
… opt for a lighter shade of granite with fine grains.
If your kitchen is spacious and well-lit…
… you can pick a darker shade with intense grain patterns.
If your kitchen is not well-lit…
… again choose a lighter shade of granite with fine grains.
Choosing the right groove edge and finish
Once you’ve decided on a granite, you will be asked about the finishing on the edges. The rough stone need to be smoothened around the exposed edges before installation and often you will be given options in it.
For a minimal, contemporary kitchen…
… choose square, bullnose or knife edge.
For a more decorative aesthetic…
… try an ogee or a dupont edge.
Design tip: To prevent the build-up of dirt, grease and bacteria, it is best to choose a groove that is smooth with minimum to zero crevices.
Pros and cons of granite kitchen countertops
A natural product with a timeless appeal.
|The material is porous.|
Is scratch- and heat-resistant.
Can harbour bacteria since it is porous.
Is resistant to stains, if polished well.
Is susceptible to stains, if not sealed well.
|Is available in unique patterns and shades.|
Can crack or chip due to heavy objects.
What is the average cost of granite kitchen countertops?
While the prices of granite vary across the country, we spoke to those in the market to get you an estimate rate. Granite is available from Rs 120 to Rs. 250 per square feet approximately. Exotic variants, of course, will cost more.
How to care for granite countertops
1. Wipe any kind of spills immediately. Don’t let them sit for too long, lest they stain or discolour the stone in any way.
2. Use a sponge or a soft-fibre cloth, instead of abrasive brushes, to clean the surface.
3. Avoid cleaners that include vinegar, lemon, citrus or any other acidic ingredients.
4. Don’t place oil bottles or canisters directly on the countertop. Keep these on a tray or a plate instead. This prevents the build-up of grease and makes cleaning easier. Similarly, use a base or trivet for countertop water filters too.
And finally, before we end this post, here are answers to some important questions we received.
How is the price of granite countertops calculated?
Here’s how the price is calculated: (total length in feet) x 2 (width in feet) x (cost per square feet)
Does my granite counter need to be 2 feet wide?
As per ergonomics and standard design measurements, a work surface needs to be about 2 feet wide (essentially at arm’s reach). Anything greater than 2 feet — your arm’s length — is not ideal. While your main kitchen counter with a stove must be 2 feet wide by default, your ancillary counter space can be reduced to 15-18inch (depending on its purpose), if space is an issue.
And that’s all that one needs to know about granite kitchen countertops to make an informed decision. Is there anything else you would like to know granite counters? All you need to do is let us know in the comments below and we’ll have them answered asap!