A girl’s vanity is an essential part of her beauty routine. From the easy access to the necessities on a rushed morning to keeping expensive makeup products and beloved jewelry safe – the right vanity can do a lot for you. And how do you choose the right vanity? That’s what we’re here to find out!
The first question you need to ask yourself is what is your main concern while shopping for a vanity? It could be any of the following:
- Space: Is space a constraint for you? If yes, you can rule out tri-fold mirrors and full wall vanities. A good solution would be to consider vanities with folding storage or vanities with full-length mirror cabinets. The latter have the added advantage of being easy to move around the house as needed.
An alternate option would be to make use of a corner to create your very own “vanity corner”. With some effective use of vertical space, it can be just the thing to store your complete collection.
- Budget: Believe it or not, but vanity units are just as expensive as any other piece of furniture these days. Naturally, with the growing popularity of DIY, it was only a matter of time before furniture became the next item on the to-do list of all the DIY-ers out there. There are two ways you can create your dream vanity without spending half as much:
a) Purchase a mirror and fix it on a wall. Simply pair a comfy table and chair with it and voila! Your very own vanity is at your service.
b) Procure a simple vanity with limited storage or continue using your old vanity and prep it up with these on-table storage extensions!
You can even use plastic makeup containers (easily available on Amazon) and an old file cabinet for extended storage. The end result would look something like this:
Not too shabby, eh?
- Size of Your Collection: If you, like yours truly, have a humongous collection of jewelry then you need a safe place to store and protect it from open exposure to the elements. A vanity with customized storage spaces would be ideal to serve your purpose here. Another option would be to make use of the storage extensions mentioned above.
Or use an old almirah/wardrobe to hold the storage extensions as shown below:
- Lighting: How is the lighting in your bedroom? Since makeup’s all about playing with how the light falls on your face, bright lighting is necessary to make the best use of your vanity. For this reason, most people tend to have separate lights just for their vanity. The popular options include mirrors with bulbs and on table lamps. An economical option for lighting your vanity would be to surround it with fairy lights of the right voltage.
Or you could just hang a pendant light just over the seat of your vanity.
- Material: You should choose the material of your vanity on the basis of where you plan to place it. For example, while a wooden vanity would be gorgeous in your room, it would limit the vanity’s life to place it in the bathroom or near the window. Also, pure wood vanities might prove to be a little hard on your pocket.
Now that we have the important constraints to consider squared away, here are some vanity styles that can inspire you to create/purchase your dream vanity.
Depending upon the space available, you can place your vanity in your bathroom itself. Not to mention, it’ll be a blessing when you’re tired and searching for an excuse to ignore your nightly beauty routine.
Who says you traditional isn’t the way to go? Simply call a carpenter and get it customized to your requirements or make use of storage extensions.
With a priceless beauty like that at hand, why shell out money on a new one? A vintage vanity will definitely lend a lot of character and timeless elegance to your room.
If you’re lucky enough to have a closet in your bedroom, with some effective space management, you can incorporate your vanity in it too. Now you can spend hours “closeted” with your jewelry and makeup collection.
Tri-fold Mirror Vanity
For a view of your face from all angles while applying makeup, a tri-fold mirror is just the thing.
Bedroom Wall Vanity
With sufficient space, you can devote a wall singularly to your vanity and beauty collection. This is particularly popular amongst beauty bloggers and YouTubers.
Once you choose the perfect vanity for you, the only thing that’s left to do is to bring it home. We hope our tips helped you make up your mind. If you’ve got any interesting insights of your own, we’d love to know! Comment with your ideas and we’ll share them with the world!