Relocating to another city is tiring, especially with kids. There are so many things to keep in mind while moving to ensure that the move is not stressful for the family and for you as well. We understand and so, we put together this guide to help you pack and move minus the hassle and the stress.
But before you do anything else, we advise you to hire packers and movers as soon as possible. On UrbanClap you can book professional and efficient Packers and Movers, who offer high quality services at standardised rates.
In this post, we will cover:
Steps to Relocate to a New City – Before
– Things to consider when relocating your family
– Tips to pack and move smoothly
– Prepare your kids to move
– Checklist for moving out of state
Steps to Relocate to a New City – After
– Settling in your new home
Things to Consider When Relocating Your Family
We advise taking 2-3 days off, over a weekend to research the new city, not only to find house hunt, but also research good neighbourhoods for your family. Here are a few points to pay attention to:
- Make sure your apartment has everything
By everything we mean; from basic amenities like 24-hour electricity, adequate water supply, parking space, to parks for your children, security guards. And all of these at a reasonable rent.
- Make sure your neighbourhood is safe
When shortlisting neighbourhoods, you need to make sure that it is well connected, particularly to your workplace, that it has a hospital, shopping places etc.
- Make sure to locate a good school
Look for good schools in the locality. If your selected schools are not nearby, confirm if they provide school bus facilities to and from your neighbourhood.
Tips to pack and move smoothly
This is the hardest part of the process and you’re probably wondering where to start. After being the business for a while, we’ve got some packing and moving tips and tricks to share. Here’s what you need to do
1. Hire Packers and Movers: Now you can spend a lot of time on the internet finding a trusted packers and movers service that offers top quality services, does a professional job, has affordable rates, and has positive customer reviews. Or you could simply book packers and movers services on UrbanClap, that tick all the above mentioned criteria.
2. Make Lists
Even if you’ve never been the most organised person in the world, this is a good time to try. Before you hire packers and movers on UrbanClap, make a list of all the items that will be packed. Best way to do it is to go room by room. These lists can be shared with your Packer and Mover to give an estimate of how much the service will costs and how many vehicles will be needed for transportation.
Pro Tip: Tape your lists to the right boxes. This way, you can open the boxes you require first instead of wasting time opening up random boxes.
3. Lighten the Load
Inventory checks are also a good opportunity to de-clutter. Give away old clothes, furniture and other non-essential items. Rule of thumb, if you haven’t used something in 1 year, you probably never will so best give it away. Not only will this reduce the number of boxes you need to shift but also cut down your shifting costs.
4. Separate Important Documents
While doing your inventory check, find and place essential documents and papers in a separate folder.
5. Pack a Box of Essential Items
Pack a carton with a few things you would need as soon as reach your new home, like toiletries (tooth brush, tooth paste, hand sanitiser, and liquid soap), first aid box, and phone/laptop chargers plus other important gadgets.
Read more: Ultimate One Month Moving Checklist
Your Moving Checklist
- Hire Packers and Movers from UrbanClap
- Make an inventory list
- Pack a separate box of things you need on arrival, such as toiletries, a few clothes, and some basic utensils. Carry these with you.
- If you have babies or toddlers, pack a separate bag with diapers, an extra set of clothes, their favourite toys, a snack pack and water bottle.
Table: Packers and Movers Rate Chart on UrbanClap
|Location||2 BHK||3BHK||4 BHK|
|Delhi||Rs 7,500 – Rs 9,500||Rs 9,500 – Rs 11,500||Rs 11,500 onwards|
|Mumbai||Rs 7,500 – Rs 9,500||Rs 9,500 – Rs 11,500||Rs 11,500 onwards|
|Bangalore||Rs 7,000 – Rs 9,000||Rs 9,000 – Rs 10,500||Rs 11,000 onwards|
|Chennai||Rs 7,000 – Rs 9,000||Rs 9,000 – Rs 10,500||Rs 11,000 onwards|
|Pune||Rs 7,000 – Rs 9,000||Rs 9,000 – Rs 10,500||Rs 11,000 onwards|
|Pune||Rs 7,000 – Rs 9,000||Rs 9,000 – Rs 10,500||Rs 11,000 onwards|
|Kolkata||Rs 7,000 – Rs 9,000||Rs 9,000 – Rs 10,500||Rs 11,000 onwards|
|Hyderabad||Rs 7,000 – Rs 9,000||Rs 9,000 – Rs 10,500||Rs 11,000 onwards|
|Ahmedabad||Rs 7,000 – Rs 9,000||Rs 9,000 – Rs 10,500||Rs 11,000 onwards|
Note: Rates are for within-city transfers.
Prepare Your Kids to Move
Moving with kids to a new city can be stressful – particularly for the kid!. To make it easier for them, here’s a few things you should do:
- Talk to them as soon as you have decided to shift and explain to them the reasons behind the move, and this would benefit them. This will give them ample time to get adjusted to the idea of moving to a new city.
- Include them in your discussions and let them decide a few things about their new room. This will keep them engaged and excited about moving to a new city.
- Throw a small party for your kids and their friends. This way they will get to say a proper goodbye before leaving.
- Stick to the regular routine. This will give them ample family time and not make them feel out of place. Play a game or watch a movie with them. This will help them adjust to the change well.
Checklist for Moving Out of the State
Here’s a small checklist of things to do before you vacate your old house:
1. Pay your dues: Pay all important bills for electricity, rent or anything you might have skipped.
2. Transfer LPG connection
Be sure to transfer your LPG gas connection from one agency to another. These are the documents you would require:
- Identity proof
- Address proof
- Gas book
- Gas regulator
- Gas connection voucher (the two-page document received when you received your gas connection).
- Transfer request letter mentioning your customer number, current address and new address.
3. Transfer DTH: Get your DTH service transferred.
4. Register Your Vehicle: If you have a vehicle, get it registered in the new city. Since different cities have different rules and regulation for regarding vehicle registration, do some research beforehand.
5. Collect Your Children’s Transfer Documents: Make sure to collect your children’s transfer documents such as mark sheets, transfer certificate, migration certificate etc. These will be needed for admissions to a new school.
Settling in Your New Home
Setting up your new home can be as overwhelming as packing it. Here’s how you can get started:
- Get your new apartment cleaned inside out, outside in.
Take starting on clean slate literally and get your house thoroughly cleaned. Now you could do this the hard way i.e. do it yourself which is high on effort and time consumed. OR, you can let UrbanClap do it for you. Book UrbanClap’s Home Deep Cleaning service and while get your house ready to settle in, you can use the time to do other important things we mentioned on the list.
- Get a pest control service.
You don’t want unwanted house guests, it’s best to make your new home pest free . You can hire UrbanClap’s pest control service to get general pest control or special service to target rodents, termites and cockroaches.
- Check major appliances
If you have moved some major appliances like TV, Fridge and washing machine, make sure you check them for any damage that might have been caused during the move, before having them installed.
- Unbox and set up your house
Based on the inventory prepared earlier open each box according to when you need. You can then start by organising your kitchen and bedrooms and the rest of the house.
Hope these tips were useful for you. If there is anything else you want to know let us know in the comment section below.