Do you want to colour your hair and change your look overnight? When you think of colouring styles and hair colour brands, does the word “ammonia” ring warning bells in your ears? Are you confused by the ammonia-free hair colour label on hair colours and what it means? Then this post is going to answer all your questions and put your concerns about hair colouring to rest.
Most people are under the impression that all hair colours are bad for their hair. They have heard horror stories of itching or burning sensations in the scalp, a drastic rise in the number of grey hair or hair damage after hair colour treatments. While this may have happened to many people in the past, there are plenty of brands that have launched hair colours that are not as harsh on your tresses as the dyes of the past. You can colour your hair to your heart’s desire without worrying about any damage. Ammonia-free hair colour is the way to go.
In this post you will learn:
- What ammonia based hair colours do to your hair
- What ammonia-free hair colours are
- 3 reasons why you should use ammonia-free hair colours
What do Ammonia-based Hair Colours do?
Hair colouring is a chemical reaction in which one or more chemicals in the hair colour act as a swelling agent for the hair cuticle. This helps the hair follicle to absorb the hair colour or dye easily and makes the colour go deep into the hair cuticle. In the past, the hair follicle swelling agent used to be ammonia in most hair colours.
The resulting hair colour from an ammonia-based hair colour lasts long and looks vibrant. Since ammonia molecules are small, they evaporate fast and are also easy to rinse after colouring. They also react with the melanin (the colour pigment in the hair) to help make the hair lighter. Hair stylists also preferred ammonia-based hair colours since it was easy to wash and delivered great results (in the short term).
However, ammonia-based hair products are known to cause plenty of side effects that we will be discussing in the later section of this article. But let us introduce you to the world of ammonia-free hair colours.
A simple egg and honey mask can reverse the damage caused by ammonia-based hair dye. Read our post to learn some more HOMEMADE HAIR MASKS FOR COLOURED HAIR.
What are Ammonia-free Hair Colours?
Ammonia-free hair colours, as the name suggests, are hair colours that are free of ammonia and contain other chemicals that help impart hair colour to your hair. These hair colours contain emollient oils and other ingredients so that the hair cuticle does not lose moisture or protein during the hair colouring process. The chemicals in these hair colours are gentler on the hair and prevent hair damage. By using ammonia-free products from hair colour brands, you can ensure that your hair does not get damaged and you can colour it without any worries.
3 Reasons to Use Ammonia-free Hair Colours
Many hair dye brands now offer ammonia-free hair colours. Here are three reasons why you should opt for them instead of ammonia-based hair colours:
- No Itchy Scalp: Ammonia molecules can irritate your scalp can cause itchiness or burning sensation in your scalp. Many people have had severe reactions to ammonia-based hair colours. If you want to prevent this, opt for the best hair colours products that are ammonia-free.
- Healthier Hair: Ammonia disturbs the pH balance of the hair and also cause moisture and protein loss in the hair. So, if you want to maintain healthy hair after colouring, consider using ammonia-free hair colour products.
- Say No to Pungent Smell: Ammonia molecules are small and evaporate quickly after application of hair colour. This leads to a strong smell when you colour your hair. It can irritate your eyes and can make it difficult for you to breathe. Ammonia-free hair products do not have this strong smell and do not irritate your senses.
Want to know the secret to MAKE YOUR HAIR COLOR LAST LONGER? Read our post to find out.
Last Words on Ammonia-Free Hair Colour
While the hair colour is relatively more vibrant and long-lasting with ammonia-based hair dye brands, more and more people are opting for ammonia-free hair colours. Hair dye brands are also coming up with ammonia-free hair colours and dyes that are not harsh on your hair. You can also go for an organic hair colour if you want to experiment with different colours without affecting the health of your hair negatively.
Adding regular hair spa treatments to your hair care routine can also reverse the damage caused by ammonia-based hair colours. You can enjoy a therapeutic hair spa in your home’s comfort by booking UrbanClap’s Salon at Home services today.