We all wish to have long and lustrous hair through which we can run our fingers effortlessly. But maintaining long, hair can be a challenge. If you are looking for some easy tips on how to take care of your hair, your regular kitchen ingredients can work magic! In this complete guide to maintaining long hair, we will tell you about the simple kitchen elements that can help take care of your beautiful mane at home. We will also share various other tips on how to maintain your hair.
5 Basic Hair Care Tips for Long Hair
Let us begin with the basics. The following are some must-dos that you should religiously abide by:
1. Regular trimming
Your hair, as it starts to grow out tends to get damaged. This happens because these are the initial strands which have grown out of your scalp and grown long, hence they are old and are more prone to damage. If not chopped off, you can end up with split ends and they can travel higher up and potentially damage your entire hair. Hence, trimming off your hair every six to eight months can significantly prevent split ends and keep your hair healthy
2. Avoid hot, long showers
A steaming hot shower, especially during the winter feels heavenly, but the damage it does to your long hair is considerably high. The steam from the heated water opens the pores and weakens your hair. It also robs the scalp off its natural oils. So, avoid putting very hot water on your scalp. Use lukewarm water. Also, the last rinse post conditioning should be a cold rinse. This process locks the moisture and leaves your hair soft and full of life.
3. Do not rub your hair with a towel
The most common mistake we all do is drying our hair with a towel. This (rough drying with a towel) instantly damages your hair and can even split it up. It’s therefore the best to simply towel your hair up after a wash allowing the towel to gently soak up the water. This will keep your hair soft and strong. Some of the hair and beauty bloggers are completely against using towels though. Instead, they advise using a gentle fabric like a t-shirt or a soft piece of cloth to dry your hair.
4. Do not blow dry too often
The hot air from the blow dryer can make your hair brittle and rough. So, avoid using the blow dryer as much as possible. Instead, sit under a ceiling fan or simply leave your hair open and let it dry out naturally. This is one of the best hair care tips that you can follow to keep your hair long and beautiful.
5. Do not tie your hair tightly at night
Before going to bed comb your hair thoroughly, remove all the knots and tie them in a loose braid or cover them in a silk or satin cloth. Tying it in a tight bun or braid doesn’t let your hair breathe properly. Also, tossing and turning at night can damage your hair to a large extent and lead to severe hair fall. So, tie it up loosely or cover them before you hit the sack.
Top 10 foods that make your hair healthy and shiny
Did you realise that a few simple ingredients that are present in your regular pantry can do wonders to your hair? Yes, that’s right! Ingredients such as onions, yogurt, eggs and honey, among others, can prove to be highly beneficial for your hair. Let us look at some common food items that can help you maintain your long hair.
You may be put off by the thought of applying the pungent onion juice on your hair, but trust us, it is the best home remedy for long hair. Onion juice is one of the richest sources of sulphur. Sulphur is essential for the natural production of collagen in the hair which is a protein that is needed for hair growth. The higher the amount of collagen, the more beautiful and healthy your hair will be.
Yet another super food notorious for being stinky, an egg is a magic potion for your hair. Eggs contain all the components that makes your long hair gorgeous! – zinc, iron, phosphorus, sulphur, iodine and selenium. So, do not shy away from applying an egg mask to your long hair at least once a week. This is an easy tip for hair care at home and you must give it a shot.
If you are tired of your long hair getting all frizzy and unruly, just turn to the humble packet of yogurt for help. Yogurt contains an essential ingredient called lactic acid that helps soften the hair. Regular application of yogurt softens the hair and untangles it too. This leads to a decrease in hair fall and helps you maintain your long hair with ease.
Honey, when used with some aloe gel, can provide your hair with some much-needed hydration. The two act together to supply the hair follicles with the lost nutrients, thereby making them strong and healthy. So, if you are looking for tips on how to take care of long hair, do not forget this very important honey-aloe home remedy.
5. Green tea
Did you know that green tea is one of the richest sources of antioxidants? Antioxidants are vital for your hair as they help you get rid of the harmful toxins in your hair. Toxins get deposited in the hair follicles too and this leads to severe hair fall. So, if you have some green tea bags lying around in the kitchen, put them to some good use. All you have to do is infuse a few bags of green tea in warm water, let it cool down and apply the tea all over your scalp. Leave it on for a while and wash it off. The end results will amaze you!
6. Chilli powder
Don’t get confused by this strange hair care tip – it really works! Just mix some chilli powder in some coconut oil and make a thick paste. Apply this paste to your scalp and leave for about 15 minutes. Rinse it off properly. Capsaicin, a core ingredient of chilli powder, promotes hair growth. It activates the nerve ends, improves circulation and basically does wonders to your hair.
Potato juice is very helpful in keeping your long hair smooth and soft. It has vitamins A, B, and C in abundance and all these vitamins are essential for your hair. So, grate a potato and squeeze out its juice. Rub it all over your hair. Wash it off after 20-30 mins.
Ask your grandmother about how to take care of hair and she will tell you about the benefits of banana. This fruit is extremely rich in natural fats. It helps supply the hair with the natural oils that it needs to grow. The fat the hair absorbs from the bananas is completely natural and free of all chemicals. This helps balance the moisture of the hair and keeps it long and soft.
Spinach is rich in iron. When you eat more spinach, you get a healthy dose of iron in your body. Iron is essential to keep your hair healthy, so spinach acts as a true super food here. Try to eat not just spinach but all other kinds of leafy green vegetables that are rich in iron.
10. Oranges and sweet lime
Next, we come to the foods rich in vitamin C. You will find it difficult to maintain your long hair unless you increase the consumption of vitamin C in your diet. Stock up on fruits such as oranges and sweet lime. Eat them whole or drink the juice. You will start noticing a positive change in your long hair very soon.
Just like vitamin C, vitamin E is also essential for the health of your hair. You thus must make increase the intake of foods that contain rich amounts of vitamin E. Avocado is a good option here. With avocado in your diet, you will push the vitamin E to your hair follicles and make them strong and healthy from the roots. This is an effective tip for hair care at home that you can easily follow.
12. Sweet potatoes
You must have seen TV shampoo commercials that claim that their products have beta-carotene. Beta-carotene is a pigment that is very beneficial for the hair and makes it strong and thick. Rather than using the chemicals, you can supply your hair with a natural source of beta-carotene by eating a lot of sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes are loaded with this pigment and spells wonders for your long hair.
If you dislike the smell of the store-bought hair oils, you can very well turn to the jar of ghee in your kitchen. Ghee is an excellent hair oil and can supply your hair with all the natural fats it requires. It is very simple to use as well. All you must do is melt some ghee and while it is still a little warm, massage it onto your scalp and give yourself a hot oil champi treatment. Do this regularly and see the quality of your long hair improve drastically.
Finally, we come to the mighty carrot, a food rich in both minerals as well as vitamins. Carrot is loaded with manganese, phosphorus and potassium as well as vitamins B and C, E and K. All these components work their magic on your hair and keeps it long, soft and beautiful. To use a carrot for your hair, all you have to do is grate it up and gently dab it all over your scalp. Leave it on for about 30 minutes or till it dries out. Then gently rinse it off with a mild shampoo and see the minerals and vitamins work their magic on your precious mane.
With so much stress, pollution and adulteration in foods, maintaining long hair can be an issue. Add to it the use hair strengthening products available in the market which are laced with chemicals. Unfortunately, most of the times we are left with no option but to purchase those products. However, if you can avoid putting those chemicals on your hair and follow some nourishing home remedies to nurture them, it will be worth all the effort!
[You can also read : 6 Homemade Natural Hair Care Remedies for lustrous Hair]
5 Spell working Tips to maintain long hair naturally!
Some simple tips which our grandmothers and aunts have been following since centuries can really work magic on your hair if followed religiously. Here we have compiled a list of daily routine for you. A list you should abide by every single day for a glorious mane!
1. Comb your hair twice a day
It is absolutely important to take care of your long hair and the first step in that direction is combing them. Amid your busy schedule you may not have the time to comb it, and may just knot it up in a messy bun and leave. This is bad for your hair as not only do the knots in your uncombed hair make them dry, frizzy and rough, they split your hair too. Combing removes all the knots and keeps your hair smooth. Additionally, combing your hair stimulates the blood vessels and the nerves in the scalp and improves the circulation. This further helps the hair to become strong and healthy. Therefore, you must ensure to you comb your hair once in the morning and once at night, every single day.
2. Do a hot oil massage
There is no alternative to a good hot oil hair massage. A hot oil massage results in your scalp getting the required nutrients and regaining its hydration. The massage also works to improve the blood circulation and that in turn makes the hair follicles healthy. You do not need to massage your head with hot oil every single day, but twice a week, you must follow this pre-shampooing treatment. You can do this yourself or you can book a salon service from UrbanClap. Oil your hair, leave it for about an hour or two and wash it off, as excess oil can make your hair greasy and attract more dirt.
3. Use herbal shampoo
As mentioned above, chemical-laced shampoos do more harm than good to your hair. One of the best hair care tips therefore is to use an herbal alternative instead of a harsh shampoo. Hibiscus leaves and petals are a great option here. You can simply throw a bunch of these leaves and petals in the blender to get a frothy paste. Use this as a cleaner and get shiny and smooth hair instantly. If, however you do not have access to these leaves, look for an herbal or an ayurvedic shampoo or even a baby shampoo, as these are mild and gentle on your hair.
4. Avoid colouring your hair too often
Whether Hair colouring is a safe option? will hair colour cause any damage to your hair?If so, how long will your hair color last? These questions have baffled people since a long time now. While the modern-day hair colours are largely safe, they still have many chemicals in them. So, try to limit the usage of these colours. Rather, opt for natural colouring substances like henna. Henna gives a beautiful hue to your mane and at the same time nourishes and conditions it too
5. Cover your hair from direct sunlight
The UV rays of the sun can badly damage your hair. It is therefore important for you to cover your hair when you step out in the hot sun. Use a scarf or an umbrella. The sun can leave your hair dry and brittle and make it difficult for you to maintain your long hair.
Hair masks for long hair?
If you are looking for an answer to this question, you will be happy to know that there indeed are many hair masks that you can easily prepare at home. The results are mind-blowing!
1. Baking soda
Just mix about one spoon of baking soda with six spoons of water and make a runny solution. Spray this on to your scalp and leave it for a while. Then, massage it gently while you rinse it off. Your hair will become smooth and soft after just one application. This happens mainly because the salts in baking soda help clean out the hair pores and release the excess grease from the scalp. This makes it easier for the pores on the scalp to breathe and that in turn improves the quality of your hair.
2. Mustard oil
Mustard is a rich source of protein and omega 3 fatty acids. It therefore makes your scalp healthy and helps your scalp recover from any issues that may have been plaguing it. This gives your hair a good texture and enables you to maintain your long hair with ease. Just massage your hair and scalp thoroughly with mustard oil. Leave it for about an hour and wash it off with a very mild shampoo to get the best results.
You can make a very simple hair mask with some powdered amla (Indian gooseberry) and lime juice and apply it on your hair and scalp. Amla has a high amount of vitamin C in it and this promotes hair growth. If you are looking for ideas on how to take care of long hair, an amla mask may be a very good option for you.
As you can see, there are so many things you can do to get that long and beautiful hair. By following these simple diet plans and making a few changes to your lifestyle and you will see visible results in no time.. You don’t have to run to expensive hair salons or consider cutting your beautiful hair off. You can maintain your long hair quite easily. Good luck!
Tricks to make your hair look longer
Let us begin with some very easy tips to make your tresses look long and shiny:
- Untangle your hair: This may sound too basic to be true, but combing your hair actually makes it look longer. The logic behind this is very simple – the more you comb, the more untangled your hair gets. This automatically makes it more flowing and it looks longer. Additionally, combing also stimulates the nerve ends in the scalp and this improves circulation, which makes the hair healthier and stronger and helps it look long.
- Oil your hair regularly: Oiling your hair is a great way to make it long. This is because most hair oils, including olive oil and coconut oil contain, Vitamin E. Vitamin E is one of the best nutrients for hair growth. If you increase the supply of vitamin E to your hair follicles, the hair growth will speed up and your hair will look long and shiny in no time.
- Apply onion juice: This is a simple and healthy way to make your hair look stronger. Just grate two large onions, squeeze and extract the juice. Apply the juice on your scalp and see the miraculous results in no time. This works because onions are rich in sulphur and sulphur promotes hair growth. Don’t hold back because of the foul smell; just give it a try and see the wonderful results!
Tips to protect your hair from additional damage
Unfortunately, your hair suffers a lot due to pollution, faulty lifestyle habits and stress. While many of these things are beyond your control, there are some factors that you can control to prevent additional damage to your hair.
- Avoid tight hairstyles: Tight hairstyles are very trendy but they cause tremendous damage to your hair. When you tie your mane up in a very tight ponytail or any other style, the roots of the hair are pulled and this weakens them. Consequently, there is a lot of hair fall and the remaining hair becomes weak too. So, avoid tight hair styles as much as you can and put your hair up in a loose bun or gently tie it if needed.
- Don’t shampoo everyday: Shampooing your hair daily can lead to many problems. First and foremost, it will rob your hair of the natural oils and make it brittle and frizzy. Then, the dampness in the hair will lead to the hair roots becoming weak. This is why you should not shampoo your hair more than twice a week.
- Avoid blow drying: Try to air dry your hair, rather than blow drying it. The exposure to the hot air of the blow dryer causes damage to the hair and makes it weak and brittle. Pat dry your hair with a soft towel and then just sit under the fan and wait for your hair to dry naturally. It may take some extra time, but it will help your hair to grow long and strong.
- Avoid using rollers and curlers: Electronic rollers and curlers make your hair rough and ruin the overall texture of the hair. So stay away from these gadgets and if you must curl your hair, use the regular rollers and curlers at home. This is another small effort that can help improve the quality of your hair in an effortless manner.
- Trim your hair regularly: Anyone who wants long and healthy hair, has to trim their hair regularly. The tips of your hair get damaged very quickly and may even split at times. Unless you trim it off, the damage will ride up and spread to the entire hair. This will unnecessarily damage your healthy hair. So remember to trim off about an inch of your hair at regular intervals.
- Tie your hair at night: It is very important to tie your hair before you go to sleep. If you keep your hair open, the tossing and turning at night will expose your hair to a lot of friction and make it rough and frizzy. It is thus vital for you to comb your hair and neatly tie it before going to sleep at night. Using a satin pillow also helps as it prevents the hair from coming in contact with any rough surface while you sleep at night.
- Use cold water: Like mentioned above, heat can rob your hair of the natural oils. Try washing your hair with water that is as cold as you can tolerate. While cold water at room temperature is the best, lukewarm water is also fine. But never pour hot water on your hair as that leads to tremendous hair fall.
- Gently pat dry: You need to pat dry your hair. Never rub it with a towel. If you rub the hair too hard, the friction will ruin the texture and the hair strands may begin to split. You will then notice a lot of hair fall and also see a considerable amount of deterioration in the quality of your hair.
- Don’t comb wet hair: When your hair is wet, the hair follicles are weaker and more prone to coming off. So do not make the mistake of combing or brushing your hair while it is still wet. If you do so, you will experience a lot of hair fall.
Deep Hair Conditioning and its benefits
As you saw, some simple measures can protect your hair. However, at times you need some extra help to maintain your hair and keep it healthy. This is where the humble conditioner comes in. Conditioning can do wonders to your hair. From the simple homemade hair conditioners to the more sophisticated leave-in conditioners, you must apply a bit of it all to ensure your hair grows long and strong.
- Homemade hair conditioners: Let us begin with the simple, yet super effective homemade hair conditioners. The best of these include:
- Honey and banana: Mash two large bananas and add a tablespoon of honey. Mix well and apply the mask on your hair. Leave it in for about half an hour and then rinse off with cold water. Banana and honey both supply the required nutrients to your hair and makes it soft and shiny.
- Yogurt: Yogurt is loaded with proteins and helps your damaged hair to become healthy again. Just apply a generous coating of thick, natural yogurt all over your scalp and let it dry. Then gently rinse it off with water and see the instant results.
- Apple cider vinegar: Apple cider vinegar is a very effective hair conditioner as it helps remove the grease from your scalp. The skin pores on the scalp open up and supply the hair with the natural oils it needs to grow. Apple cider vinegar therefore works as a fantastic hair conditioner. Just apply it uniformly all over the scalp, leave for about 15 minutes and wash it off.
- Leave in conditioners:At times, when there is considerable hair damage, you may have to rely on the medicated leave-in conditioners that quite literally address the problems from the roots! You should ideally apply the leave in conditioner after you shampoo. Leave it in for as long as the pack says (this varies between two to thirty minutes, depending on the conditioner and its use). Do not leave it on for longer as that can have an adverse effect on the hair. If your hair is quite damaged, use a leave in conditioner every alternate day. For lesser damaged hair, a twice-a-week application may be sufficient. It is very important for you to buy the right product. So read the label carefully, understand your hair type and then buy the most appropriate leave in conditioner. Only then will you get the best results.
Consult a dermatologist
If you feel your hair is extensively damaged and even after following the above-mentioned remedies your hair quality doesn’t improve, it would we advisable for you to see a dermatologist. Excessive damage or hair fall may at times stem out of other deep lying health issues. Only a healthcare professional can make a correct diagnosis and help you overcome the problem.
So as you can clearly see from the points mentioned above, it is not very difficult to have long, beautiful and healthy hair. Just keep the tips we shared in mind and your job will become a lot easier. Eat properly, sleep well and avoid damaging your hair as much as you can. These steps will help you in your journey and very soon you will be able to flaunt your beautiful, long and thick tresses.
[You can also read : How to Maintain Healthy Hair: Daily Hair Care Routine]