Have you ever noticed how Aishwarya Rai’s cheekbones make her stand out from the crowd? And haven’t we all wished the same for us! Even if you do not have naturally well-defined cheekbones, you can use cheek highlighter to create such an appearance. With a few trials, you can soon master the trick of cheek contouring and make your cheekbones pop. The secret to well-defined high cheekbones is the knowledge of how to apply the right tone of cheek blush in strategic locations. In this blog, we let you in on the secrets to getting a natural-looking flushed cheek, which appears more angular, defined, and higher. Here is how to apply blush the right way.
How to make your cheekbones pop
1. Pick out the right shade of blush
From the plethora of options available in the market, it might be difficult to pick out the shade of colour that suits your skin tone the best. It is therefore a great idea to buy colour pallets, such that you can mix and match colours to suit your outfit and the occasion. Experiment with colours, to check what flatters you the most. You could also opt for darker shades like bronze to create an illusion of sculpted cheekbones. For special occasions like weddings and parties, add a glimmer of gold. For light, natural flushed appearance, you could use pinks and peaches. If you would like a heavy, intense look, try out bronzes and shimmery golds.
2. Contour cheeks with a highlighter
Apply drops of highlighting cream onto your cheeks and blend them well with the makeup, to make your cheeks look amazing. You can get the right effect, by picking a bronzer two shades darker than your skin. The lighter areas appear outward and the darker areas seem like being inward, to make it look like you have the perfect cheeks. Note that to get the best effect, it is recommended to make a fish face when you put on makeup, as finding the cheekbones is easier that way. When applied the right way, the contouring gives your cheeks the appearance of angularity. In this step, the key is to apply highlighter in the exact positions where the light hits your face naturally. Highlighting accentuates the shape of your face and makes you look sharp faced. In subtle strokes, apply highlighter in parallel lines to the cheek hollow, for the best effect.
3. Apply the blush
Gently swirl the blush brush onto the chosen colour, hold it at a slight angle to your cheekbones, and tap it onto your cheeks, until you get the desired shade. To create a more intense look, you can simply apply more blush. It is better to use different blushes for bronzer and blush, for the colours to look perfect, or you could also clean the brush thoroughly by tapping off the excess powder, once you are done using it.
Two key steps before applying cheek makeup
Before applying cheek makeup, here are 2 steps you need to follow:
- Apply a coat of concealer and foundation on the entire face for contouring, with a shade that blends perfectly well with your skin tone. This makes your face look fresh and lively, all through the day.
- Thereafter, make it a point to strobe and blend in well with the neckline of the dress you are wearing, such that the colour transition looks neat and presentable.
What if you do not have razor sharp cheekbones?
For those of us not born with razor sharp cheekbones, it is now easier than ever before, to use cosmetics to our advantage.
- Simply dab some foundation cream, preferably lighter than your skin, on the centre of your forehead and chin, bridge of the nose, and on cheekbones.
- To create definition, we recommend that you apply a foundation shade two shades darker, below the jawline and the cheekbones.
- Blend the foundation well using a blender, to create a subtle finish.
- Apply powder, and finish off your look, by applying powder blush on the apples of your cheeks, and accentuating your cheekbones with some liquid highlighter.
You might also want to read: How To Prepare Your Face For Makeup: 6 Easy Steps