Washing your hair is a regular activity. It goes beyond cleaning our hair and allows a general release of stress and uplifts our mood. But are you washing your hair the right way? Learn the basic steps to wash your hair the right way in this post!
Here are some hair care tips along with dos and don’ts to make your hair care routine even more power-packed.
How to wash hair right:
The following hair care steps to wash your hair the right way and stop damaging your lovely locks will help you a long way in taking care of your hair.
Step 1: Oil your hair first
Oiling is the first step, oil helps retain the moisture after hair wash and shampoo. Gently oil your hair largely at the scalp and leave it for 2 to 3 hours before hair wash. It is very important to include a basic pre-shampooing treatment to your hair wash routine.Also massaging your head and scalp with oils help open up pores and rejuvinate you. UrbanClap salon at home experts provide you with just that.
Dos of oiling –
- Let the oil flow at the roots
- Pour oil at the roots and gently massage from scalp to the top
Don’ts of oiling –
- Don’t just oil at the tip or middle of the hair
- Don’t massage too hard and for long
Step 2: Start with a gentle rinse
hair rinsing is aslo an essential part in steps to wash your hair the right way. Rinsing your hair with gushing water opens up the cuticles, softens hair tangles, and removes dirt. Rinsing with lukewarm water is even better as it helps remove extra oil from the scalp and washes off the dry scalp skin making it ready to receive shampoo’s nutrition.
Dos of rinsing –
- Be gentle to your hair while rinsing and rub with soft hand
- Use mild hot water to rinse
Don’ts of rinsing –
- Don’t be in any hurry to remove hair tangle
- Don’t start rubbing as soon as water gushes in, let water do its job first
Step 3: Lather up your hair
Now let’s talk about the most important part, the shampoo.
Selecting the right shampoo for your lovely locks may not be an easy choice to make. With hair shampoos, choose the one which suits you the best and completely compliments your hair. For example, if you have dry hair, the best way to wash your hair is using sulfate and parabens free shampoo. Similarly, for coloured hair, opt for one that keeps your color intact. In a nutshell if you have a rough, uneven or coarse hair then use a shampoo with moisturizer, for thin hair use volumizing shampoo so you keep more of the volume you have than these products, they are designed to leave less of residue on your hair, use shampoo with moisturizer for curly hair but choose the one without synthetic ingredients like silicone. Synthetic ingredients in shampoos damage the hair cuticle when used regularly, leaving the hair shaft exposed and potentially damaging your hair permanently.
Dos of shampoo –
- Choose a shampoo according to your hairstyle
- Try sticking to one brand or at least to two brands having the same chemical formulation
- Shampoo at the scalp first then gently rub towards the tip
Don’ts of shampoo –
- Avoid shampoo with synthetic agents
- Don’t rinse with hot water
Step 4: Condition your hair
Use conditioner after shampoo especially if you have a long hair. Conditioner helps in retaining moisture in the hair after the shampoo and most importantly, binds the hair cuticle after shampoo. Shampoo your hair then rinse with cold water, avoid rinsing hair with hot water. Once shampoo has completely rinsed out apply hair conditioner.
Dos of Conditioning –
- Use conditioner after shampoo
- Rinse conditioner with cold water
- Spread conditioner all along the hair evenly and gently till the hair tip
Don’ts of Conditioner –
- Unlike shampoo there is no need to leave the conditioner for long, just make sure conditioner is spread all over the hair and it’s ready to be washed out
- No need to rub the conditioner on the scalp, scalp cleaning has been already done by shampoo
- Avoid hot water rinsing after conditioner
There, now you know the steps to wash your hair the right way!!
[Also read – 12 Ways To Get Dandruff-Free Healthy Hair ]