Colored eyeliners can brighten up your eyes in seconds. If you are tired of applying the same old black eyeliner, we suggest you start experimenting with colored eyeliners. Try the most popular ones — gold and blue eyeliner — and the edgy ones — yellow and green coloured eyeliner. Use them as single strokes or do eyeliner makeup without eyeshadow, these looks are worth trying!
In this post, you will learn:
- How to choose eyeliner color for your eyes
- How To Apply Colored Eyeliner (with images)
- Using one color
- Using multiple colors
How To Choose Eyeliner Color For your Eyes?
Just like the color of your eyes plays a role in your eye makeup, it becomes important when choosing colored eyeliners as well. While black is the universal eyeliner color but when trying out eye pencils of other colors some basic rules apply.
- Colored eyeliner shades for brown eyes: gold, pink, violet, purple, lavender, turquoise, aqua, and cobalt.
- Colored eyeliner shades for blue eyes: primarily colors belonging to the orange family, such as rust, bronze, peach, copper. For contrast, use navy blue color eyeliner.
- Colored eyeliner shades for green eyes: bronze, amethyst, rust, mahogany.
- Colored eyeliner shades for black eyes: use darker shades of pink and brown, such as mauve and coffee. For contrast, use yellow and electric blue liquid eyeliner.
How To Apply Colored Eyeliner?
If you are looking for eyeliner makeup inspiration, you don’t need to look further. We tell you how to style your colored eyeliner pencils using ample examples.
When using just one colored eyeliner
- Applying colored eyeliner on just upper lash line: This look can be carried any time of the day and any where, and with literally any color! If you are attending a function, a simple electric blue eyeliner makeup will do the trick. If it’s an evening party, pair gold eyeliner with brown eyeshadow. For a through-the-day or office look, subtle colors such as pink or grey eyeliner will look great.
- Applying colored eyeliner on just lower lash line: Another simple eyeliner trick is to apply it on the lower lash line and smudge it. It adds a pop of color without being overly dramatic.
- Applying colored eyeliner on the waterline: Traditionally, we have always used black kajal on our waterline, but it’s time to break the mould. If you are still new to colored eyeliners, we suggest you with nude eye pencil on your waterline. But to take it a level up, vine and turquoise.
- Applying colored eyeliner only on the inner and outer corners of the eyes: For a dramatic eyeliner look, leave the middle portion of your lash lines blank while applying color on the inner and outer corners of the eyes.
[Also Read: Best Eyeliner Brands In India]
When using more than one colored eyeliners
- Applying colored eyeliner just above black eyeliner: This look is best tried with liquid eyeliners. Apply colourful matte eyeliners over a regular black one and notice how your eyes lift up. Increase the glam quotient by using shimmer or silver eyeliner when going for an evening party.
- Applying colored eyeliner to fill black eyeliner: If you are adept at handling liquid eyeliners, then opt for this dramatic eyeliner look. Draw the outline of your winged eyeliner with black and fill it with a colour of your choice. Make sure that black eyeliner dries up before you start filling to avoid a color mess. You can experiment even more with this look by using glitter eyeliner as fillers.
- Applying a coloured eyeliner over another colored eyeliner above the lash line: In this case, you can experiment within the same family of colors (refer the first image below) or pair try different colors (as shown in the second image below).
- Applying one coloured eyeliner on one half of lash lines and another color on the second half: This pairing works best light and dark hues of some color are used. We have shown an example of green, but you can try other colors such as pink eyeliner, mauve and blue.
- Applying three colored eyeliners for upper lash line, lower line and waterline: When opting for multi-colored eyeliners, make sure they all work well together. For instance, the blue, white and green eyeliner tints used in the image below look great.
Read our post on How To Make Eyes Look Bigger using just eyeliner!
Some More Interesting Colored Eyeliner Looks
- Apply colored eyeliner only on some portions of the winged look
2. Add drama by applying colored eyeliner in geometric styles
Hope you found liked these eyeliner makeup looks. Let us know which ones you tried or are going to try in the comments below!