Acne is the worst skin problem ever. It’s a skin condition that occurs when your hair follicles get plugged with dead skin cells and oils. This hard-to-deal problem can happen to you at any time though it’s more common in teenage. Acne can lead to pimples, whiteheads and blackhead and make your skin look dull with scars. The earlier you start to manage your acne problem, it’s easier to deal with. Knowing the cause of acne can help you treat your skin and keep the breakouts at bay. Oily skin are not the only cause for breakouts. Here are few causes of constant breakouts and scarring acne cycle.
- Triggered by hormones called androgens. Testosterone androgen stimulates your sebaceous glands to produce more sebum. This oil gets plugged in pores and results in acne
- Genes can carry acne problem. If your parents have an acne problem, chances of you getting it is more.
- Some medications and steroids can cause acne
- Unhealthy foods can cause acne.
- Stress and smoke can sometimes cause acne.
Proper skin care and acne treatments can help you manage acne-prone skin. Here are few tips to manage acne-prone skin and make it glow with clear complexion.
How to Manage Acne Prone Skin
1. Cleanse your face gently
Intense cleansing can be harsh on your acne-prone skin as rubbing harshly can promote acne. Gently clean your face daily with a mild cleanser to remove the accumulated dirt, makeup and clogged oil. Do not over wash your face. Use some topical acne wash products to cleanse your acne-prone skin that can prevent your skin getting too dry and dehydrated. Go natural with cucumber, honey and yogurt etc to make your own face wash for acne at home.
2. Keep your face hydrated
Many skin care products designed to combat acne can over dry your skin that can lead to excess oil production. Moisturizing skin is vital to treat acne problems. Finding the right one can be tough. Go for alcohol free, gel-based moisturizer containing ingredients like salicylic acid, mineral oil and dimethicone that can help prevent clogging of pores and help your skin to retain natural moisture.
3. Shop wisely
Using wrong products make your skin prone to breakouts. When you have an acne-prone skin, it’s wise to use water-based, gel-based and oil-free skin care products. Look for products with ingredients like salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, sulfur and glycolic acid as a part of acne treatment. Glycolic cleanser and exfoliation treatments can be the best acne treatment to skin. When you have skin breakouts, inflammation is quite common. Hence, shop smartly for acne concealers to hide out the redness. Some herbal skin care products can help you in soothing irritation and can repair damaged skin cells. Avoid alcohol based toners. In short, it’s always better to use skin care products tailored to your acne-prone skin.
4. Treat acne naturally
Do not go for abrasive acne-treatments that can worsen the problem. Make some healing masks at home using natural ingredients to manage acne-prone skin. Homemade acne treatment can do wonders by giving you a clearer complexion.
- Oatmeal: oatmeal is not only a healthy breakfast, it’s also a great ingredient for acne-face mask. With its anti-inflammatory properties, oatmeal soothes acne irritation, redness and swelling. It’s also a gentle exfoliant to treat acne that repairs damaged cells and prevents clogged pores. Mix oat meal with honey and lemon juice to make a face mask.
- Multani mitti: It’s an ancient remedy for acne. It’s a clay rich in many useful minerals and vitamins that helps prevent excess oil and acne formation. It’s an amazing cleaning and removal agent that removes dirt from clogged pores, blackheads and fades away scars and make your skin beautified. Natural clay can be mixed with lemon juice to use as face mask. It can be used in many combination with tomato, aloe vera, honey and yogurt.
There are plenty other home ingredients like cucumber, aloe vera, lemon juice, honey and yogurt etc that can promote acne-free skin.
5. Keep your hands off
Don’t ever try to extract cyst on your own as that can worsen the problem and leave a long lasting scar on your face. Your hands can add more dirt and bacteria to the skin pores. Squeezing with hand can cause more irritation and increases the risk of scarring.
6. Eat Healthy and don’t stress yourself
Imbalanced diet, junk food and stress are very influential in worsening the acne problem. Stress can lead to hormonal imbalance that can make your oil glands to produce more oil resulting in skin breakouts. It is said that too much of dairy products and chocolates can worsen acne problem. Cut down on your starch intake. Go for foods with low-glycemic index such as brown rise, fresh vegetables, fruits and whole grains etc.
Stop blaming your hormones. Get rid of frustrating acne problems with proper skin care and management. Keep breakouts at bay with right skin care products and natural treatments and get a cleaner looking healthy and flawless skin!
[You might also want to read: Acne & The Food You Eat]